Hazards and risks
Aid Station and spectators
- You are responsible for your own safety and enter this event at your own risk.
- It is compulsory for all participants to be present at the Event Safety Briefing 15 minutes before the start of the race. A change in course or race hazards may be announced.
- You must listen and obey all instructions given by Event Personnel. Failure to do so may result in disqualification from the race and removal from the site.
- All participants must stay on course and pass all marshals. A tail-end marshal will follow the last competitor and ensure everyone finishes safely.
- Please ensure you have adequate and suitable clothing. Footwear is optional. Rain jacket recommended if weather is poor. Sunscreen and sun hat essential in hot weather.
- All portable devices are not allowed due to safety reasons.
- Should you, at any time during the event, decide to withdraw, you must return to Start/Finish area and inform Event Personnel.
- Adequate food and water should be carried. This is a cupless event, you must provide your own water vessel.
- You must not compete under another person’s identity, as we need to know exactly who is on the course if medical attention is required.
- Please ensure you are physically fit to complete the distance. If you are unsure, please seek medical advice.
- The 10km distance is open to participants who are 12 years or older. All under 7 year old must be accompanied by an adult on the 5km course. Any appeal to these rules must be done in writing to the event organiser email@example.com
- All walkers must walk the whole distance. Therefore a walker must never have both feet off the ground at any one time. Breaking of this rule may result in disqualification from the event.
- Race bands must be worn on your wrist at all times.
- There is no refund if you decide to withdraw from the event.
- This event may be cancelled in extreme weather conditions at the Event Manager’s discretion. There will be no refund given. Event entries cannot be deferred.
- Entries can be transferred before 8th March, please get in contact with event organiser. Transfer will incur a $5 administration fee.
Hazards and risks
- Please take care of yourself and other participants on the course.
- If you come across someone that needs help please stop. Make sure they are comfortable and send the next runner past to inform the nearest marshal.
- All marshals will carry communication and first aiders will be present around the course.
- All accidents and incidents must be reported to Event Personnel and an Incident Report Form completed, at the Start/Finish area.
- The beach will be soft in places and uneven and debris maybe on the course. Please take care.
- Participants should appreciate the risks associated with the event. Be careful, be responsible and know your limits. Ultimately responsibility lies with you. IN THE EVENT THAT A PARTICIPANT REQUIRES EMERGENCY EVACUATION BY GROUND or HELICOPTER-AMBULANCE, THE PARTICIPANT ASSUMES ALL FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS CONNECTED WITH THIS SERVICE. EVENT MANAGEMENT IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DEBTS INCURRED.
- In a life threatening situation call the emergency services on 111.
- All courses run parallel to the ocean and are straight out and back courses. Follow the arrows and marshals along the beach. All turnaround points will be clearly marked and a wrong way or hazardous area will be roped off with warning tape.
- The beach is open to the public, please respect this at all times.
- Knowing the course is your responsibility, check the course map.
- No bikes, scooters are allowed on the course. Participants with buggies, prams or walking poles need to enter as a walker and start at the back of the group.
- No pets are allowed on the course.
- Be aware of other participants passing from behind, keep to the left. Pass on the right.
- Car parking is located on the reserve next to Papamoa Surf Club. There is extra parking on Papamoa Beach Rd. You must follow all signage and instructions from Event Personnel.
- We strongly encourage carpooling, walking, biking or scootering to the event.
Aid Station and spectators
- Adequate food and water should be carried. There are 2 aid stations for 10km, at 2.5km approx. and 5km turn around. There is 1 aid station for 5km, at 2.5km approx. There are no aid stations for 2km and Kids’ Crab Scuttle. Water will be at the start/finish area. This is a cupless event, you must provide your own water vessel
- Supporters are best located at Papamoa Surf Club or along the beach close to the dunes.